Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Studying journalism and other stuff

So, this blog is FINALLY up and running! Why do I always seem to be typing away at midnight these days – work overload. Anyway, I’ve set this site up to write about my year of zinky days studying journalism at Westminster uni and any other bits of life that I manage to squeeze in around that.

First seminar at uni, our course leader gives a slightly satirical and very amusing definition of dinky life (double income no kids yet). I chuckled as, despite hating to be a marketing cliché, it wasn't a bad description of my life until three months ago. After years of working in recruitment in the city, I decided the time was right for a change. I’d studied English at uni eons ago, was tired of city life and really liked the idea of getting back to writing. Hence I’m entering a year of ‘zero income no kids yet’ territory.

It’s been fun so far! It’s great to be doing something intellectually stimulating again, if at times intimidating. The first few weeks have flown by in a whirlwind of new technology and new ideas, not to mention shorthand. The new ideas are great, the new technology has been scary. I’m one of those people who is enamoured by technology for the simple reason that its inner workings are like magic to me – I have no idea what’s going on to create those strange whirring sounds from my laptop! So building websites, blogging, vlogging and all the other grand techno-visions we’ve been learning about have been a lot to take on board.

Despite all fears to the contrary, it does look like my first website will be up and running soon (touching much virtual wood – I’m superstitious) and I’m even giving this blogging malarkey a try. I’m still not entirely sure what on earth I’ll write about, but I guess we’ll see where the trail leads.

Hopefully I may even find time to start reading again sometime soon, when this haze of deadlines passes. We’ve been pointed in the direction of Orwell who is one of my favourite writers and still the only author whose ‘collected works’ I have conquered (I think!).

Now I’m off to write a book review. Nothing like more more tap tap tapping......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff very funny and I love the term zinky!